Saturday, January 18, 2014

DIY kid's block puzzle

I was recently doing a little post-holiday shopping (I'm one of those weirdos who only buys things when they're on sale.  And just incase you were wondering, anthropologie has the all time BEST post holiday sales).   Anyways, I saw a block puzzle just like this one and thought, hey! I could make that! ... and so I did. or I tried.  I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, although like most things, I'd like to make another one to perfect it.

After purchasing your square dowel at your local hardware store (mine was about an 1.5"x1.5"), you'll need to cut it into cubes.  However if you don't have the tools to do this, they might do it for you (I know home depot has always cut anything I asked them to).
I then 'gessoed' each cube.  However any white paint will work for this. 

ok, painting on your image is a little time consuming.  Tape around the edge of each cube before you paint your image, so the paint doesn't spill over to the other side.   However, if you can not paint animals, you can still do this! I would either cut up a printed off image and glue it on (modpodge would probably be great). OR, you could do something super simple like shapes, or even just solid colors would work for young children. 
I hope you are enjoying your weekend! love, andrea

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. nicole! I thought of you the whole time actually! I thought, this is the kind of thing nicole would make. and it made me happy!

      Delete
  2. this is such a cute idea! i wish i were visually talented so i could do something like this :)

    xx
    ~Chantilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is amazing! I've been wanting to buy blocks for Wilder, and now i cannot show this post to jason because he will insist that we can do that too, and no, we cannot! you rock! :)

    ReplyDelete