Monday, November 25, 2013

A Homemade Monster Costume


Of course, this wasn't just any ol' costume, it was Redding's halloween costume, but with the early arrival of miss birdie, I just didn't have time to get this post together before halloween. But, really ... who needs a holiday to wear a costume? No one in this household! 

If you've been reading this blog for a while, perhaps you've seen my son in this costume.  We had plenty of days that it was hard to get it off him.  I absolutely love it and was quite proud of the 13$ purchase from Pottery barn kids after Halloween last year and decided to use it as a pattern for this years costume.
the back piece and the hat is x2

*while reading these instructions, please remember I just had a baby and my brain seems to have broken in the process, have mercy on my bad grammar and confusing tips!*
  • After using a machine to sew all the Fleece pieces that are shown above, together (leaving a space in the back for velcro), I hemmed the costume with a embroidery thread using a blanket stitch.
  • For the teeth, fur, and and blue bumps, I just (very sloppily) cut out pieces and hand sewed them on with embroidery thread.  
  • The tail and the eye-holdy-up-things (for lack of a better term) were the hardest part, I didn't want to use any wire, so I just over stuffed them with batting to make them stand up on their own.
  • How to make the eyeballs is pictured below
  • I sewed on the eyes and tail by hand,  I'm sure if you are an experienced monster-costume-maker there is an easier way to do this.  But, for me it worked just fine.
  • Sew strips of velcro onto the hat and the back of the costume
  • If desired, at elastic to the bottom of the costume.

Eyeballs
This is 24 hours before I went into labor! So crazy!
good lord this kid is absolutely adorable! I just want to eat him up! 
<3
andrea






No comments:

Post a Comment