Friday, August 23, 2013

Creative spaces for Play: Redding's Nursery


I'm probably a little too excited to be sharing Redding's room with y'all (I really want to use the word 'jazzed'.  I'm jazzed to be sharing it with you! There).
I started on this mural back in March, found out I was pregnant and it was like a ticking time bomb, I knew it was only a matter of weeks before I'd be feeling too sick to work on it.  Sure enough pregnancy caught up with me and I had to lay down the paint brush for a few months. But, with my second trimester energy, I've been able to finish it! woop! 
The inspiration came from here, which I found on pinterest.  You can find the old image I used on my children's rooms pinterest board.

I used my experience with teaching preschool to help me arrange his room. With the belief that kiddos need a few tiny nooks/spaces for different types of play.  To help make the spaces clear, I used some cheap rugs I found at Ikea.  We have a music corner, dress-up area, reading/snuggly space and a tactile-learning nook. 

Now for the room tour!

Truth: the changing table is always messy.  Dirt kicked off from feet. Food that fell off of clothes. Dirty Clothes.  And I never have my diapers out on display, I just did that for the photo... But, it's totally cute, huh? Perhaps I'll leave it...
















Details:

Dresser: ikea
Crib: craigslist find
Rugs: ikea
Rocking chair & metal baskets: thrifted
Blankets: thrifted

My DIYs



Happy Happy Friday to you all! I hope you enjoyed his room and I'm always looking for inspiration! So if you have your pictures of your kiddo's room please share!
<3
andrea

















19 comments:

  1. I have a metal bin for our dipes too! Only when I force it of course because that sh*t is not happening M-F by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Word! This is and you are amazing, honey! Wow. That mural is unbelievable. I'm so proud you finished it. And that tactile wall play center. Wow. Did JOhn do that? I love it. I'd hang it in my living room. Crazy awesome! How will you ever top it for baby girl / R's next room / etc? Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!!! I found it at goodwill! isn't that crazy? I've always wanted to make something like it (for preschool and now for redding) but found it would be way too expensive.
      We will have to build fancy bunk beds... I can see it now.

      Delete
  3. Love every bit!! Seriously, this was just the inspiration I was looking for. I love Ellie's room, but def have a few things I want to add/change. Thanks so much, I have direction now :) oh and I just got on Pinterest and saw reddigs room. You're famous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just fantastic! Definitely one of the coolest kids rooms I've ever seen!
    And that mural! FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahh you're such a good mom! The little touches like the tactile wall and the mirrors at kid height are so perfect. and the wall looks amazing - katie k

    ReplyDelete
  6. That mural is amazing-sauce! wow! I love every detail of the room! laura j

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is sooo wonderful! Just found you through A Beautiful Mess and this post made me bookmark you. I love the different stations, especially the little mirror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks so much! yes, I was super excited about the way this room turned out ... although the newness has already worn off for him, I still have fun playing in here! :)

      Delete
  8. I am in awe of your creative talent, is there no end to your genius? <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. What they were seeing may be hard to believe when you read it in print, but it was almost as hard to believe when you saw it happening. The things in the picture were moving. It didn’t look like a cinema either; the colors were too real and clean and out-of-door for that. Down went the prow of the ship into the wave and up went a great shock of spray. And then up went the wave behind her, and her stern and her deck became visible for the first time, and then disappeared as the next wave came to meet her and her bows went up again. At the same moment an exercise book which had been lying beside Edmund on the bed flapped, rose, and sailed through the air to the wall behind him, and Lucy felt her hair whipping round her face as it does on a windy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) love it. and must reread all those books again soon.

      Delete
  10. How did you do the mural? How do you translate that to the wall? I wouldn't even know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Andrea, this room is awesome and the mural is amazing. Redding is a lucky boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Home Run! This is a terrific nursery - Great Job! Love that used so much colour - it's a happy place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning! Love, love, love this room.

    ReplyDelete