Monday, March 18, 2013

Hello! I'm a cyclist

I'm so excited to finally share this with you! It's a project I schemed up a couple of years ago, but needed the right partner to get it moving.  My friend Alie was just that person! She really took my little idea, made it ten times better, then helped it materialize.  I just love team-work :)

We have been busy the past few weeks working with cyclists and bike shops to fundraise.  We also got a great deal from our local sticker shop, 'The Bumper Sticker'.  I ran around town photographing cyclists and Alie set up the layout for every single sticker.  Our goal is to humanize cyclist to motorist.  It's our attempt to help with austin's intense drinking and driving problem, by perhaps encouraging drunks to take a cab.

What do you think? I really feel like if I try to put myself back in time a decade or so, back to when I thought I was invincible (and would occasionally drink and drive), that seeing a message like this might have jarred me back to reality.  It could have caused me to think twice about who my actions could harm.  Well, that's what I hope anyways, because not everyone grows out of their 'invincible stage' unscathed like I did. And many people never grow out of it.





Feel free to Pin, or Share any of these photos in any way you like! They are here for people to see!
And if you'd like to stay updated on our campaign, you can find it here:

http://www.facebook.com/helloimacyclist


Happy Monday, and please remember, Please don't drink and drive - you might kill somebodies child.
<3
andrea

11 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing, I love this! I don't know what the statistics are for the largest age group that drink and drive in Austin, but here it is young people in their late teens and early 20's (the invincible one's you mentioned). I have teenage children and I know they are more affected by things happening to people their own age or their close family. Just a thought, but maybe a few of young teens who just like to have fun on their bikes. I would love to see a similar campaign here, well done! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish! that is such a great idea! (I really tried to get a mixture, but obviously missed out on a VERY crucial age bracket!)
      Thanks thanks! I'll keep you updated on any new stickers we make! thanks for the idea <3

      Delete
  2. What you're doing is so awesome and thoughtful! I love it!! I'm going to be in Austin from the morning of the 26th to the morning of the 29th and it would be really awesome (awkward?) to be able to meet you in person! My husband will be getting tattooed at Rock of Ages on the 27th and I'll have three totally free hours, either from 12-3 or 3-6. If you would like to, feel free to send me an e-mail and we could figure something out! kelsey.frick@gmail.com <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KELSEY! yes sounds great. I think I'll be out of town that weekend, but perhaps thursday or something? I'll email you!

      Delete
  3. I love this!! We're not in Austin, but a little town outside of Charlotte, NC. A little town with no bike lanes.....they are working on plans to make us more bike/pedestrian friendly, but I'd love to see more people be more aware of cyclists on the road! Especially my hubby on his!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME! So excited to see this come to life!!! It's gonna be big, I know it! :) I'm a motorist, and I won't be drinking and driving. Enjoy your ride! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flipping fantastic!!! Good on you guys and I hope it has some effect. There is such little respect from (some) drivers to cyclists especially in our biggest city over here. It gets really scary. My husband bikes to work every day and he often comes home breathing smoke out his ears coz some driver nearly killed him on a roundabout... I'm too scared to let my kids bike on the road like we used to as kids.. what a shame..
    Thanks for what you're doing. I'll share this somehows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! You are brilliant!!! I'd love to see this go nationwide. My husband is in the Air Force and rides his bike to work, at all hours depending on his shift. We are in Tucson, a pretty bike-friendly place, but I always worry about him riding home in the early hours. <3 I will be sharing this as much as possible!
    (How will you be choosing your subjects in the future? Do you have any interest in covering areas outside of Austin? I know that this would be a big hit here in southern AZ.)
    :) Thank you so much for putting this out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it, Andrea! You're amazing. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A brilliant idea! I'm sure it will have an effect and make folk more aware of people on bikes in general..which all helps. Well done xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super awesome idea...you are one clever Mama! Gonna spread the word across the pond...London + cyclists = crazy

    Ps...congrats on becoming an Auntie!! She is so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete