Thursday, June 14, 2012

my closet: 5 months postpartum and still nothing fits.

You know, I thought I would be a lucky one.  I've been incredibly blessed my whole life with a fast metabolism, a fit figure and a drive to exercise.  I once gained 7 lbs when I quit smoking in 2006 that I  couldn't lose for a year (pathetic, I know).
I even took a little bit of sick pleasure in the fact that I wasn't hungry during my pregnancy having to make myself eat.  Towards the end we even had to calorie/protein count to make sure I was getting enough of each.  I gained exactly 30 pounds and had a healthy 8 pound baby... and then breast feeding happened.  A hunger  I can never seem to satisfy.  And breasts. I'm sorry, but can I take a minute here to ask, WHO's Breasts are on my Body!!!????  where did they come from? (the fact that I love the ability to feed my child aside) I DON'T want 'em!
I really don't feel like there is that much extra fat on my body, it's more like my rib cage and hips have just expanded and won't go back.  (Did this actually happen? Will they go back?)

You know, it wouldn't be so hard if there wasn't a closet FULL of adorable vintage dresses. I've been collecting them for the past 15 years and now they are just taunting me to lose weight.  But how do you lose weight while breastfeeding?  (if you've never done it, then let me explain. You. Are. Hungry. All. The. Time).

So, after trying on every pair of jeans I own this morning (yes, I even tried that size 0 extralong pair that I've had since I first moved to austin 10 years ago ... and no, they didn't even fit past my knees) ... THIS is what I found to wear:

leggings: target
boots: vintage
dress: american apparel
shirt: thrifted

Ok, so the trained eye might see: an elastic waist band, a dress that covers your big 'ol butt and a shirt that will no longer button up over these darn boobs.
BUT, to the amateur: The boots, which balance out those big hips.  The button down shirt which covers the tummy pooch AND enhances those breasts.  Layers and Jewelry for a distraction.

AND voilllllla, mommy feels hot again!

(after trying, and successfully not getting spit up on me, I spilled coffee down the white dress. damn, sometimes you just have to laugh)



13 comments:

  1. These are the cutest photos and you look great. I was a size 0 before my pregnancy (not because I dieted and made myself skinny, but because I am a natural very small person with a super high metabolism) and after my daughter was born it took forever before my body went back to normal. I lost the 35 pounds I gained immediately, probably due to breastfeeding (which I'm still doing two years later) but my hips and ribs and everything seemed wider. Now at 2 years after giving birth I think my body has finally went back to normal. It's like over time my bone structure moved back to where it was originally. Your body will continue changing as you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thans so much. AND go you on still breastfeeding! I hope to bf for that long as well!

      Delete
  2. It's so true. It seems to take time for the rib cage and hips/pelvis to go back. But give it time. You look really good. I was oddly proportioned and looked "fat" (=bad word, I know, but...) while nursing. Lucky you. Just fill in with a few cute items. A pair of jeans that fit and are flattering are a must, I think. Everyone needs a pair. Adorable shots. Even if I am, yours truly, Mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awh you have to say that... but thanks! love<3

      Delete
  3. I think you look lovelier than you ever did as a mommy. And the outfit above is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the girls are right, and look great, about the always hungry mommy i can understand you, i was always like that until i realize, i wasn't drinking enough, 3 liters per day the doctor said to me, i know it sound too much, but it help me so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are SO right! and thanks for reminding me. I'm going to start measuring my water intake like I did when I was pregnant and will see how I feel (and how much I eat) over the next week. THanks!

      Delete
  5. I think you look great too (honestly) BUT I know you will feel so much better when you can fit into your old stuff again. I'm going to bet you $50 that you'll be back into those dresses by Redding's birthday. Seriously, I will pay you if I'm wrong. It's gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEATHER ! I've been dying to call you! ... maybe i'll text you right now! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm 5 months postpartum too. I feel ya!!!!!! It took 9 months of pregnancy transformation...give yourself at least that long to get back. And in the meantime-- GO SHOPPING!! :D I remember needing a wardrobe boost right about now with my last go around. And these bigger items will be your saving grace at the start of your next pregnancy and the postpartum stage! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh how I love excused to shop. I am going to use this as one! :) thanks for that Cheryl!

      Delete
  7. Oh, don't worry. My daughter is 6 months old now, a month ago I had just the same problem with too much body here and there. And the BREASTS! But during the last month something happened, I stopped being hungry, I even have to set an alarm clock to remind me of the meal time, and I lost weight just so, with no effort. And my breasts are still big, but already 2 sizes down (I'm still breastfeeding). My highschool shorts fit again ;>
    So just wait, the change is coming. Keep my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh girl! you give me soooo much hope! Thanks!

      Delete