Friday, May 18, 2012

gurrrl, i love you like a fat kid love (vegan rainbow!) cake ...

  
 
 
 
 

SO.... I made this vegan rainbow cake for John's birthday, with vegan chocolate cream cheese icing.  But, here's the deal ... I won't give you the recipe, I just wouldn't feel right passing it along.  It was awful.  I mean, not awful for a one year old who needs a healthy 'cake-thing' to eat on their first birthday, but awful if you are someone wanting a sugary-delicious-birthday treat.  
Vegan baking is just sooooo difficult! I would love to know if anyone has any sure-thing recipes.  Because vegan cookies is about the only thing I can do well.   I had to post the picture's though...  they're just so colorful!
I have one more birthday post tomorrow, be sure to check it out!
as well as the Banner, the wrapping paper, the magazine streamers, the paint-chip streamers 
love love love
<3
andrea

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog - it's so fun! [Coming from the anti-fashionista (which I'm pretty sure is a combined function of ineptitude and lack of boldness more than anything.)]

    I know this post is a couple months old, but for future reference I thought I might touch on your cooking question. I was vegan for quite a while and did a fair amount of baking. I've had success both converting non-vegan recipes and using recipes that were vegan to begin with.
    A few tips:
    - converting from a non-vegan recipe works best if the recipe doesn't call for a lot of eggs. Eggs are simple to replace, but it works much better in smaller amounts. It also depends on the function of the eggs in the recipe, and figuring that out is a combination of experience and knowing some basic kitchen chemistry. What the eggs are doing can help determine which replacer you should use. For replacing whole eggs ground flax is my preferred substitute (1 tbsp in 3 tbsp very warm water. Whisk in a small bowl and set aside to cool and gel for 5 minutes.)
    - you can usually use any non-dairy milk or yogurt to replace cow's milk or yogurt, just be mindful of possible flavoring contributions of said milk.
    - Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World is a good book with lots of recipes, most of which can be doubled or tripled and baked as a full-size cake. I bet you could find a copy at Half Price Books (can I just tell you how much I *love* that place. 3 days in Texas to attend a friend's wedding and I spent 6+ hours of that trip dragging my very tolerant husband around that store. It's a good thing we drove...). I also love Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian; most of his recipes can be easily made vegan (if they are not already). His recipes are straightforward and yummy.

    Hopefully those are sort of helpful. Or I just told you a bunch of stuff you already know :) If you can talk about what exactly was unsuccessful with this cake I might be more helpful.

    ReplyDelete