Monday, May 14, 2012

DIY Happy Birthday Banner!



I'm so excited about the posts I have for this week! Because sunday was John's Birthday (happy happy happy day!), I have tons of diy birthday stuff to share!  And, actually now that I think about it, it was all FREE (for me) - I used stuff I already have.  Not that I don't love a trip to hobby lobby, it's just that I've learned with a 4 month old ... you've got to take what you can get when nap time rolls around.  

Now, if you don't have a basket full of paint chips in your house, shame on you! They are FREE (other than the guilt you feel when walking out of home depot with them falling out of your purse).  And, they always come in handy for the most impromptu art projects... like this one.
For the lettering you might want to get a stencil,  I, however had way, WAY to much practice in Jr. high and high school drawing notes for my girlfriends, and therefore have great lettering skills (I did have to sacrifice my grades though, for such a skill).
I just applied the elmers glue on with a paint brush and then sprinkled the glitter on top ... (yes, I have martha stewart's 24 glitter set... and I have NO shame in that!)  
And, in the detailed picture above, you can see how I just cut slits in the paint chip to string through a ribbon.  and Voila!!! 

I hope all the mothers out there had fabulous mother's day! And everyone had a great weekend!
happy monday!!!
<3
andrea

3 comments:

  1. It looks great! I am in awe of your crafting skills with a 4-month-old to care for! (Also your lettering skills, which are indeed fabulous!)

    I am making party decorations at the moment - I need to get me some glitter! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO. FREAKING. CUTE.

    I should forward this to my boyfriend, seeing as my birthday is coming up in two weeks.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty kick ass! I always hope to do things like this and then I watch like 15 documentaries back to back and don't have time. I commend you!

    ReplyDelete